Start Date: August 13th, 2014
Looking to gain experience in the non-profit world? Want to volunteer abroad?
The Light and Leadership Initiative (LLI) is offering a unique and incredible opportunity to the right individual. We are seeking a Volunteer Program and Events Coordinator for our program headquarters in Huaycan, Peru, a developing community on the outskirts of Lima, Peru.
The ideal candidate should:
• Be able to work in a team or independently
• Be able to adapt to new situations and living environments
• Enjoy working with people from different cultures and backgrounds
• Be an excellent problem solver, especially with cross-cultural situations
• Be organized and responsible
• Be comfortable leading a team
• Be fluent in English and have advanced Spanish skills
• Enjoy working with kids
• Previous managerial experience or in event coordination is a plus, but not required
• Previous experience living abroad is a plus, specifically in Lima a MAJOR plus
• Commit 1 year (plus training time) to working in Huaycan with LLI
• Have an interest in working with a grassroots nonprofit and making a difference!
The Volunteer Program and Events Coordinator position consists of the following responsibilities:
- Develop awareness of volunteer concerns and needs
- Run errands for the volunteer house (Including market shopping)
- Complete volunteer airport pickups
- Prepare volunteer rooms for new arrivals
- Plan and carry out volunteer activities and excursions in Lima, Peru.
- Assist the Director with new volunteer orientation
- Assist the Director with program/volunteer coordination
- Manage household expense receipts
- Encourage and promote constant communication between volunteers, staff members, and Board Members
- Contribute in weekly management meetings
- Plan special community events, including LLI’s 6th anniversary celebration
- Coordinate special programs: Movie day, Game day, Chess tournaments, etc
- Coordinate educational field trips
- Coordinate special contests (Community-wide Entrepreneurship Contest, for example)
- Coordinate and co-manage events for LLI’s teen leaders program
- Involvement in other programs (English, Art, Chess, Guitar etc. as needed)
Light and Leadership also will offer the Education and Volunteer Program Coordinator the following benefits:
• Free room and board in the volunteer headquarters in Huaycan, Peru • Transportation costs for Light and Leadership activities in Huaycan • Two weeks vacation; two days off a week
A $500 deposit is required upon acceptance of the position. The deposit is fully refundable upon completion of the internship contract.
Ready to Apply?
Please send your cover letter and resume to Lara DeVries, LLI’s Executive Director, at Lara@lightandleadership.org. Please only apply if you can make the time commitment (12 months + training time) and the language requirement.